black and white of art gallery former post office

Selkirk is a city with a rich and vibrant history. There are a number of residential homes, buildings and structures located within Selkirk which have significant historical value.  Below please find a list of historic sites.  For further information on historical sites within the City of Selkirk please contact the Selkirk Heritage Advisory Committee.

 

PictureName and Address Description
Abell HouseAbell House
226 McLean Ave
This little house was built prior to 1890 and it still bears its delightful bargeboard. The yard is sheltered by an exceptionally beautiful old oak tree and is protected by a picket fence.
Christ ChurchChrist Church
227 McLean Ave
In 1887 the parish of Christ Church erected this building to replace the log "chapel - schoolhouse" which had served their needs for 20 years. The builder was Alfred Sellick, a local contractor. The steeple and tower were added in 1889 to house the bell, which was to serve as the town's fire alarm for many years.
The stained glass window, by McCausland of Toronto, was installed above the altar about 1900. More recently six sets of stained glass windows designed and made by Ernest Ashcroft of Winnipeg, were added.

On the outside, the tall, tapering steeple with buttresses at its base and the original bargeboard on the south gable are distinctive features. Many of the interior furnishings are original.
Christ Church RectoryChrist Church Rectory
239 Eveline Street
Built in 1892 by local contractor, Alfred Sellick at a cost of $1200, this building's first occupants were the family of The Rev. Charles Littler, rector of Christ Church and St. Clement's. It was to house every rector of these parishes for the next 78 years.

The house is built on a square plan with horizontal siding on a milled wood frame.
ColcleughColcleugh House
109 Pacific Ave
Built between 1872 and 1874 for Frederick W. Colcleugh who would become Selkirk's second mayor, this is an excellent example of a side hall house, typical of that period. It is supported by a fieldstone foundation and the exterior features such ornamental details as pedimented window surrounds, a bay window and the original exterior doors. The interior has been carefully restored and retains its woodwork and staircase.
Comber HouseComber House
309 Eveline Street
This little house was built prior to 1890 and it still bears its delightful bargeboard. The yard is sheltered by an exceptionally beautiful old oak tree and is protected by a picket fence.
Abell HouseDorchester AveA variety of early house designs can be seen in one block on this street. Compare the large square plan house at 213 with the fine examples of bungalows at 210, 212 and 211 and the smaller houses on the north side.
Fryer HouseFryer House
285 Eveline Street
Built in 1892 for businessman William Fryer, this house is largely unaltered. It is constructed of horizontal siding on a milled wood frame.
Gibbs HouseGibbs House
212 McLean Ave
This house was built in 1921 by Roy Hooker for pharmacist Fred Gibbs. It is of wood frame construction with horizontal siding and cedar shingles on the walls. This also was a popular home design of this era.
Holloway HouseHolloway House
233 Eveline Street
This little house was built prior to 1890 and it still bears its delightful bargeboard. The yard is sheltered by an exceptionally beautiful old oak tree and is protected by a picket fence.
Knox Presbyterian ChurchKnox Presbyterian Church
Corner of Mclean & Eveline

Photo Source: MHS, Natalie Macintosh
The Presbyterians built a 36' x 38' church on this site in 1880 and a manse on the west side of the property in 1896. In 1903 Provincial architect, Samuel Hooper, drew up plans for a new church building which incorporated the old one. Construction began in June 1904 and the church was in use by the end of that year.

The older parts of the building rest on a fieldstone foundation, while the newer portions are supported by cement. The church features decorative brick belts, corbelling near the roof and brick trim around the windows. The interior retains the original woodwork and has two stained glass windows by Winnipeg artist, Leo Mol.
masonic hall in selkirkMasonic Hall
207 Eaton Avenue

Picture Source: MHS, Gordon Goldsborough
Lisgar Lodge #2 was formed in February 1870 and chartered in July 1871. Meetings were held in various places in the area until this building was built in 1920. The building is brick on a wood frame with a flat roof. The exterior features decorative brick belts and corbelling around the roof cornice level. The only windows are in the front, and the front door is accented by a pediment, which rises above the rest of the roof. The door is sheltered by a hood supported by two columns.
Manitoba AveManitoba AveAs you walk along Manitoba Avenue, look at the tops of the buildings; these squared off tops, known as "Boom-town" fronts, give the small buildings an impression of size. They also gave the merchant a place to paint a sign. Notice the variation in the tops of numbers 224, 238 and 240.

The shape of 212 Manitoba Avenue is unique - there is not another like it in the province. Notice also the distinctive signboard across the front. This building was constructed in 1930 031 by a master carpenter, Mr. Metro, using many high quality, salvaged building materials. May original features can still be seen inside, such as the pressed tin ceiling and trim.

Although most of these buildings have had their facades modified in some way, all have retained their original shapes. These commercial buildings were constructed of wood shipped up the river from the sawmills along Lake Winnipeg.
Merchant's HotelMerchant's Hotel
383 Eveline Street
The first Merchant's Hotel on this property was built in 1887 by John Christian Shultz. The original building was moved back in 1903 to make room for this one. In addition to serving as a hotel, this building has provided space for the Bank of Montreal, a barber shop and a pool room.

The three storey building is built of buff brick on a wood frame, with a band of decorative brickwork along the roofline. The third floor windows are topped with voussoirs. The verandah was added in 1995, duplicating one shown in early photos.
Old Post officeOld Post Office
250 Manitoba Ave
Selkirk's first post office was opened in 1876 with James Colcleugh as postmaster. Construction of the present building was begun in 1907 by Brown and Garson Construction Corporation; it was designed by the Winnipeg architectural firm of James Chisholm and Son. For many years it housed the federal government offices in addition to the Post Office and Customs Office.

The building is of solid brick construction with finished limestone above grade on the outside. Notice the detailed brickwork. The interior is of post and beam construction with some of the original woodwork still visible.
402 Queen ave402 Queen AveLittle houses of this style often served as the first home for a pioneer family; later a larger house (often a side hall plan) would be built as the front, leaving this building to serve as a kitchen or a back porch. Although there are many of the latter kind to be seen, few of the original buildings remain.
Scott HouseScott House
205 Eaton Ave
This house was built in 1898 by Robert Scott, Country Agent and Police Magistrate. A Typical side - hall house with a slant-roofed kitchen, it boasts a distinctive tower with a pyramidal roof and an enclosed verandah.
Selkirk Lift BridgeSelkirk Lift Bridge From 1879 the people of Selkirk wanted a bridge, but it wasn't until 1934 that it was started as a relief project. The bridge was completed in 1936, but it was not opened because the three levels of government could not agree which was to assume responsibility for maintenance. Finally, some disgruntled citizens took matters into their own hands, lowered the centre span and the dispute was quickly settled.

The whole centre section is raised by a system of pulleys and counterweights to allow ships to pass under.
Smith HouseSmith House
322 Eveline Street
This house dates back to at least 1890 and it is believed that Captain Roderick Smith was the first owner. Smith served as first mate of the steamer "Northcote" during the Riel Rebellion and he was part owner of a grocery store, but he was a boat builder by trade. HE built many York boats in addition to the "Highlander" and the "Wolverine." This house remained in his family for 80 years.

The two storey wood frame house sits on a fieldstone foundation. The windows are highlighted with ornamental detail. Inside, the front hall has the original light fixture, staircase, lock and key.
Stuart HouseStuart House
478 Eveline Street
James Stuart, manager of the Selkirk Electric Light Company, built this house in 1904. The Selkirk Electric Light Company was formed in 1890 and was the first producer of electricity in the town.

The 2 1/2-storey house is of brick masonry with a poured concrete foundation. It is distinguished by decorative brick belts, details on the open verandah and the arch windows. Window and door frames are original and it is the only house in Selkirk with a back (or servant's) stairway.
Teeter HouseTeeter House
218 McLean Ave
This home was built in 1916 for the Rev. Chancellor Teeter, pastor of Wesley Methodist Church. It was designed by his nephew, architect George Teeter and has remained in his family to the present. Built in the bungalow style, which was then popular, with wood shingles over horizontal siding, this house included all of the conveniences available at that time.
Traders Bank black and whiteTrader's Bank
201 Manitoba Ave

Picture Source: MHS, Gordon Goldsborough
Garson Quarries of Tyndall began work on the foundation of this building in July 1903. J. M. Beattie was in charge of construction of the building. The first floor was shared by the bank and Moody's Hardware, the second provided space for many of the city's professional offices, while the third consisted of several apartments.

The façade presents many interesting architectural details and the interior has a the ceiling is detailed plaster ceiling on the main floor and oak woodwork, hardwood floors and skylights in the apartments.
Selkirk United Church black and whiteSelkirk United Church
202 McLean Ave

Photo Source: MHS, Gordon Goldsborough
The Methodists erected a building on this site in 1895. When the Methodists united with the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches in 1925, it was raised on a basement and served until the present sanctuary was built in 1958. The old building has undergone extensive renovation and now serves as a Christian Education Building.
vaughn Vaughn Ave

Photo Source: Google Maps
Many of these homes appear on the first assessment rolls in 1890, indicating that they are perhaps even older than that. Several of these homes were built from a side-hall plan. You will see an especially fine example at 202, and others at 205, 215, and 227. An early duplex can be found at 216; note the front doors - they were a stock door, common in the 1800's.

The house at 226 is believed to have been built around 1884 by Charles Bubar, lumberman. The wrap - around verandah is capped by a round tower and decorated with turned wooden spindles.
West HouseWest House
323 Eveline Street
This house was built in 1888 for Captain Charles H. West by Robert Moncrieff and Frank Wright. This is a 1 1/2-storey structure with horizontal wood siding on a wood frame. It sits on a stone foundation. A bay window protrudes into the open verandah, which is supported by columns. The walls are trimmed with bargeboard and shingles. Although the interior walls been altered and a door and a window on the front have been removed, it still has the original woodwork, staircase and wood flooring.

If you are interested in experiencing the history of Selkirk first hand, click on this link to open up our walking tour brochure.