2018 Property Tax Information
Your 2018 property and business taxes are due July 31, 2018. Tax bills were sent via Canada Post in June and are deemed to have been received by July 5, 2018.
You have 3 convenient ways to pay:
You can pay your property taxes via online banking. Login to your online bank account and add the City of Selkirk as a “payee”. Please use the first 10 digits of your Property Tax Roll Number as your “payee” account number. You can find your roll number in the top right corner of your 2018 Property Tax Bill (highlighted in the image above). Remember – only use the first 10 digits.
Pay by Mail
You can pay your property taxes by mail. Post-dated cheques dated July 25, 2018 will be accepted. Please record your Property Tax Roll Number on the “Memo” line of your cheque. Also detach and include the payment stub at the bottom of your Property Tax Bill with your payment.
Pay in Person
You can pay your property taxes in person at the Civic Office at 200 Eaton Ave. The office is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. A night deposit box is available for receiving tax payments during non-business hours. We accept cash, cheques and debit.
- Taxes payments are due July 31, 2018. Taxes received after this time will be assessed late penalties of 1.25% per month on the first day of each month until paid in full.
- Current taxes are payable, at par, on or before the last working day in July of the current year. Penalties will commence August 1st of the current year, at a rate of 1.25% per month, on the unpaid balance.
- When paying by mail or by Internet it is your responsibility to ensure your payment reaches the Municipal office on or before the due date.
Frequently asked questions:
- How much does it cost for a tax certificate?
The cost for a tax certificate is $30; cheques are to be made out to the City of Selkirk. A tax certificate is a document confirming that taxes have been paid or indicate what amount is owing. This is usually requested by lawyers when ownership changes are taking place.
- When are the tax statements mailed?
Tax Statements are mailed out only once during the year in mid-late June.
- I did not receive a tax statement for the year, what should I do?
Please contact the City of Selkirk Municipal office at 204.785.4902, as you must still make your payment(s) on or before the due date to avoid penalty.
- What period does the tax statement cover?
The tax year is the calendar year and covers the period from January 1st to December 31st.
- I believe my tax bill is high, what should I do?
ASSESSMENT CAN BE APPEALED. Taxes cannot be appealed. If you feel your assessment is unfair, please discuss it with the Provincial Assessment Branch located at 103 – 235 Eaton Ave, Selkirk, Manitoba or phone 204.785.5092. The taxes must still be paid on or before the due date to avoid penalties. If your assessment is reduced as a result of an appeal, any overpayment of taxes will be refunded.
- What if there are arrears on my tax statement?
Arrears can be as a result of previous tax bill(s) that were not paid in full or can result from unpaid water invoices and/or outstanding account receivables owed to the City of Selkirk for the prior year that have been added to the tax roll.
- Penalty on the arrears portion is calculated till May 31st of the current year and further penalty will incur to cover the months of June and July. Please contact the Municipal Tax Department at 204.785.4902 to obtain the current penalty on the arrears portion of your tax statement.
- What information with regard to my taxes can I obtain over the phone?
The City of Selkirk does not have the authority to collect confidential information about a person to verify identity over the phone. Therefore, due to Privacy Legislation, it is recommended that you attend the Civic Office in person, with proper photo identification in order to obtain information required regarding your property taxes.
- Can I pay by pre-authorized payment?
Yes, forms are available at the Civic Office located at 200 Eaton Avenue, Selkirk, Manitoba. Payment of the tax statement can now be made online through either the Internet or telephone banking. The payee is: City of Selkirk – Taxes. Your account number is your roll number.
- All pre-authorized payments will be debited from your account on the 5th of every month.
For additional information regarding property taxes in the City of Selkirk contact the Tax Clerk at 204.785.4902.